Home > OUR HIHS > Our History
|1892||Our school was one of the first Chinese Mission Schools to be founded and was named Tao Nan School. Bible studies and classical Chinese were taught.|
|1920||Rev Fr Becheras was the Supervisor of our school. The name of our school was changed from Tao Nao to Holy Innocents’ Chinese Boys School. It means pure, wholesome and innocent.|
|1942||During the Japanese Occupation, our school was called Syonan School.|
|1957||A two-storey building consisting of 12 classrooms was built as 7.25 miles, Upper Serangoon Road (the site of our present school). Rev Fr Berthold, then Supervisor, appointed Rev Fr Shih as Principal.|
|1958||Secondary classes were started and the name of our school was modified to Holy Innocents’ High School. His Grace, Archbishop, Rt Rev M Olcomendy, blessed the school and declared it open on 5th January|
|1960 to 1964||An additional 8 classrooms and 2 laboratories were built to cater for the increase in the school enrolment|
|1965||We started our first Pre-University classes (Science stream).|
|1968||A new three-storey building was added.|
|1969||Fr Shih was transferred to Taiwan. He left an indelible mark on our school. Rev Fr Lu assumed office as Principal and was instrumental in forging our school ahead to keep abreast with educational developments of the times.|
|1983||On 9th September, Mr Ho Kah Leong, the Parliamentary Secretary, Ministry of Education, officiated the opening of the School Hall and 4 special classrooms.
Rev Fr Lu retired at the end of the year.
|1984||The Vice-Principal, Mr Lee Tho Nee, was appointed Principal.|
|1985||On 25th March, our primary school section moved to her new premises at Lorong Low Koon and was named Holy Innocents’ Primary School.
Our secondary section functioned as a single-session school.
|1987||A School Building Committee was formed headed by our Chairman of the School Management Board, Rev Fr Mathias Tung, to expand the school to a standard-sized secondary school. Approval was given with an 80% capital grant.|
|1992||Our lower secondary classes occupied the ex-Hai Sing High School premises while the upper secondary classes remained at the present site. Construction and refurbishment work started in May.|
|1994||The official commissioning of the upgraded facilities by Rt Rev Gregory Yong, Archbishop of Singapore, took place on 30th July. The completed project added 3 new teaching blocks and an administrative block to the original building. The total built-in area was 9000 sq m.|
|1996||Mrs Mary Bay, the Vice-Principal, was appointed Principal in July.|
|2001||Mrs Pauline Wong was appointed Principal in December.|
|2004||Moved to holding school at 51 Edgedale Plains in June, while upgrading of the original site was completed.|
|2005||Moved back to our original site in December|
|2006||The new school building was officially opened and blessed by His Grace, Archbishop Nicholas Chia on 2 June 2006.|
|2007||Ms Soh Lai Leng was appointed Principal in December.|
|2008||Celebrated the 50th Anniversary of HIHS with a musical titled “I want to Be A Star!’ in June and a Mass and Dinner in November with His Grace, Archbishop Nicholas Chia as celebrant and Guest-of-Honour.
Added the Performing Arts Studio.
|2009||Added the Design Cove, a creative learning studio for the teaching of Design and Technology|
|2011||Named all buildings in the school after patron saints and named the ‘Chapel of the Holy Innocents’ and ‘Blessing Alley’.
Launched the inaugural Mid-Autumn Festival Celebration
|2012||Celebrated our 120th Anniversary with a musical title ‘I am special – the HI-story Musical in April and a Mass and Dinner in November with Rev. Fr Frederick Quek as celebrant and Guest-of-Honour.
Set up the HIHS On Air (broadcast station) and launched the Journalism and Broadcasting Programme.
|2013||Attained Niche Status for our Journalism and Broadcasting Programme and offered Direct School Admission. Celebrated with HIOSA on the establishment of Ren De Foundation in support of the Holy Innocents’ students.
Mr Yap Wai Meng was appointed Principal in December.
|2014||Established our Learning for Life Programme (LLP) and Applied Learning Programme (ALP)|
|2017||125th Anniversary: Celebrating 125 years of serving God and society|
Completion of Indoor Sports Hall
|2018||Mrs Rebecca Chew was appointed Principal in December.|